At our all members meeting in June 2018 the following motion about railways was agreed:
Northern Rail has failed to deliver a reliable service on the Lakes Line between Oxenholme and Windermere since being awarded the franchise in 2016. Their temporary closure of the service from 4th June is completely unacceptable.
This CLP notes that Northern Line has reduced its provision of replacement buses, following the partial replacement of the service by West Coast Rail.
This CLP calls upon Cumbria County Council to maintain pressure on government directly and via Transport for the
• reinstate our service and
• to have the franchise taken back into public ownership with no compensation and
• to make regular public statements on progress to achieve these
In the meanwhile, it also urges Cumbria County Council to:
• Seek discussions with Northern Rail to gain assurance that the line will not suffer further failure to deliver some or all services
• To demand that they enter meaningful discussions with their unions to end their dispute
• To demand that they compensate the local businesses and communities who have been so badly affected.
Finally this CLP asks Cumbria County Council to press for reinstatement of the plans to electrify the line, having regard to the significant visual impact of such a change and the benefits of using narrow stanchions to carry the wires.